Thursday 29 January 2009

G Mail

A lovely thing happened to me today....

It began as one of those grey days with nothing being quite right in J-World. He wanted to remain firmly under his rock and was not in the mood for any intrusions into his stratosphere. All my carefully-closed questions remained unanswered, requests were ignored and the bribery card had to be dusted off and used to the max. Even the Frubes came out to help coax him to our appointment at the dentist..... Eventually..... How the dentist managed to ascertain that his gnashers were in perfect working order in the 2 seconds that he actually opened his mouth for is a mystery to me. I think it was a combination of cosmic dentistry and the desire to retain a full complement of fingers that meant that we were in and out of the chair in record time.

We took the long route home to check out the bus route letters on every single bus stop and when we got home, my mute little man somehow managed to aim his tackle at my eye during "Toilet Time" and hit his target. I took the hint (here's one in the eye and all that) and left him to his own number-orientated devices.

So it was with heavy heart that I started opening the backlog of post that had piled up over the past week.

Amongst the bank statements and (destined to be binned without opening) catalogues, I found a hand-written letter addressed to Kristina and G. It was a response to my article "Bring me a higher power - Dear Gloria" from December and was signed "from Big G - Gloria's Dad".  It was truly the loveliest letter I have ever received in my life and I am eternally grateful to "Big G" for the beautiful and generous words which reduced me to a teary dollop for the rest of the day. To give you a small excerpt: " You have been given one of the most extraordinary things a family can ever have, which is a human being who - through some very unusual ways - makes anyone close to him come so close up to what LOVE is all about, it can't help but shake things up a bit..." "...And remember, the thing about LOVE is that it takes the most brave people possible to do it properly.." It was sincere, wise and lovely.

"Big G" - I'm pretty sure you're not the eponymous surf-forecaster and I'm hazarding a guess that, in your mortal incarnation, you've been known to throw some nifty moves at the mecca that is "Disco Marisco"- you have really made my day and touched my heart. You should have seen G's face when I read it with him. Thank you so much. xxxxx 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.